These are 19 of my favorite local slangs/proverbs and after a whole lot of enquiries, I think i’ve finally found out what they mean in plane english, brothers.
– One thing must kill somebody / Everybody must die from something
1. Life is short,
so shorten it…
– The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know
1. Never change anything; Stay the same
2. Respect the status quo; Do not experiment;
3. Don’t go outside;
4. Vote PDP
– No rest for the wicked / Body no be wood
1. You’re a good person if you sleep a lot;
2. Workaholics are the devil
3. Stay vigilant or you’ll be attacked… by the vigilant
4. Don’t suffer your body too much… take alcohol instead
– No food for lazy man
1. In this economy, no food for working man either, what’s your point?
– Horn before overtaking
1. I have no trafficator,
2. no brake lights or headlights,
3. but if you dare to pass,
4. and then die,
5. you caused it.
6. What am I?
– Good name is better than riches
1. So I named my children Godswill, Godspower, Godisgood,
Godwin, Goddie, Godina and Godsriches
– But did you die?
1. You’re not in pain unless the answer is ‘yes’
2. Don’t complain;
3. Complain to your coffin
– See me, See wahala
1. See you, See wahala
– Look at this one…
1. Idiot alert;
2. I just found another idiot;
3. You idiots amaze me
– Are you mad?
1. A term of endearment / how are you?
– dey there now…
1. If you don’t know by now, you’re an idiot
2. Will you believe me or will you keep being an idiot?
3. I can’t explain, but you’re an idiot
– Wake me up by 8
1. I need someone to blame when I wake up by 10
2. My laziness is your responsibility
– How far now?
1. I need some money
– What’s up?
1. I need some money
– Wetin dey?
1. Where is the money?
– I carried you when you were small
1. Bro, do you even lift?
– Happy birthday to me!
1. For godssakes send money!
– I can’t sleep
1. Memories of my ex haunt me at night
– What’s the time?
1. I have no watch, so
you are my timekeeper for the evening
2. You have a nice watch, so… you’re my watch now
3. My time is very important to me… tell me what it is
4. Tell me your time, the universe depends on it!